“It is not enough that my devotion to you has not helped me at all, but you are now made the victim of the hatred,’’ complains Boethius to Philosophy personalized, with the barbarians standing at the gates of Rome and himself sentenced to death. The situation seems to be somewhat similar today: why should anyone waste their time studying philosophy, with no jobs around, the economy in crisis, rather than learning some practical skills that would be more useful in these circumstances?
Despite all this, I teach philosophy. To see why, see my longer statement about teaching philosophy.
Current Courses (Spring 2023)
Some General Resources for Students
- Philpapers: an excellent catalog of reliable philosophy papers and books, with great searching abilities.
- The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy: please use this instead of wikipedia.
- History of Philosophy without Any Gaps: precisely as the name indicates. A podcast series by Peter Adamson and guests.
Other things (mostly humour)
- Didn’t read the syllabus?
- “Did I miss anything?”
- About office hours
- How to Email Your Professor
- Need an A?
- The unforgettable argument clinic by Monty Python